Monday, August 13, 2012

A Dog Named Stay


I’ve been living with a schizophrenic dog named Stay.  He’s been my constant companion.  I yell, “Come here Stay!” and he looks at me in utter bewilderment as if he doesn’t know whether to come or stay.

I usually get angry and yell even louder, “Stay I told you to come!”  

Often, stay comes when I tell him to stay and sometimes, no matter how many times I tell Stay to come, he stays.  

It is exhausting living with this dog named Stay.  At any given moment, neither he nor I know whether he is coming, going or staying.  He accompanies me wherever I go just to remind me that I don’t know whether I am coming, going or staying.  

Stay lives in my head.  I feed him well and fret over him and check on him every day throughout the day.  He takes walks with me, sleeps in my bed, and haunts my dreams.   

I think it is time for me to get rid of Stay and replace him with the Holy Spirit whose name is: Go.  Go will direct my steps.  Go will guard my heart and keep me from fearing what tomorrow will bring.  Most importantly, Go will give me peace that surpasses all understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment