Monday, August 13, 2012

A Dog Named Stay


I’ve been living with a schizophrenic dog named Stay.  He’s been my constant companion.  I yell, “Come here Stay!” and he looks at me in utter bewilderment as if he doesn’t know whether to come or stay.

I usually get angry and yell even louder, “Stay I told you to come!”  

Often, stay comes when I tell him to stay and sometimes, no matter how many times I tell Stay to come, he stays.  

It is exhausting living with this dog named Stay.  At any given moment, neither he nor I know whether he is coming, going or staying.  He accompanies me wherever I go just to remind me that I don’t know whether I am coming, going or staying.  

Stay lives in my head.  I feed him well and fret over him and check on him every day throughout the day.  He takes walks with me, sleeps in my bed, and haunts my dreams.   

I think it is time for me to get rid of Stay and replace him with the Holy Spirit whose name is: Go.  Go will direct my steps.  Go will guard my heart and keep me from fearing what tomorrow will bring.  Most importantly, Go will give me peace that surpasses all understanding.